Tuesday, May 23, 2006

"The Girl Who Loved Wild Horses" by Paul Goble


When I first began collecting children's books- after I had become "too old" for them, I had an idea in mind that the books I collected ought to be the kind of books that would make my children better. There were a few important issues that I felt that children's books could make an impact for...namely, the importance of imagination, the joy of asthetics, and the idea of acceptance and diversity as intrinsic in our idea of love.
What?
I think what I am trying to say is that I bought books that I thought were original and beautiful and different...and this book was a perfect example. I love the bold lines and colors of Paul Goble's world, and the story is not one a child would hear often, and it represents a culture that existed right here in our country, but has been largely fogotten by people like me.
I love new fairy tales, and this is a good one.
Bowden loves the horses...he can name them, and he likes to find the other animals as well.
(Simon & Schuster/Aladdin Paperbacks, 1978.)

No comments: