Sunday, May 07, 2006

"Wee Mouse's Peekaboo House" by Jean Hirashima


This is, without exception, my favorite board book. It's about a little Momma mouse who plays hide-and-seek with her mousey children, by name, Lou, Mabel, Willow, Tom, Arden, and Marty. What I love most about the book is the mouse's house- it is nearly perfect. It is charming. It is cozy-looking. It has huge scissors on the wall, but I can forgive that, since they are mice. Wee Mouse has a penchant for lovely patterned fabrics and lots of pillows, and I want to visit her, or just move in.
Bowden likes to find the mice children first, but he usually has a problem with little Arden, in the garden.
(Random House, 1991)

3 comments:

Abigail said...

Annika's middle name is Arden, but I've never seen a book that featured it. We may have to keep our eyes peeled for this one, given your glowing recommendation. (Believe it or not, Mildred has a book starring a Millie...too bad the Book Millie has blonde hair.)

sarah said...

I know a male Arden, my mother's old boss, and Josh's great-uncle too- but the Arden in the garden is a very definite girl mouse hiding in a watering can.
I like the name a lot.

Verper Girl said...

I named my daughter Arden Tiana. Arden from this book and Tiana is a version of my name meanining princess. I still love the name Arden! I am glad I chose it for her.
Also, her nickname is squeak and she has a mouse collection!