Tuesday, April 25, 2006

"Danny And The Dinosaur" by Syd Hoff


I can never really figure out if Syd Hoff wrote the story, and then drew the pictures, or if he drew the pictures and put them together into some kind of story. I'm guessing the latter, because this book, and some of his others, read a little like dubbed kung-fu movies.
And I like that.
Apparently, so does Bowden. This book was on the bedtime story rotation for a very long time, and I grew to like it more and more. I love the way the dinosaur is a very soft and fuzzy character...almost like a plush brontosaurus instead of a fierce reptile. I don't even think the dinosaur is a representation of any real dinosaur, but it's a good book.
Bowden now believes that he can find a dinosaur somewhere and take it home.
(Scholastic, 1958)

No comments: