Monday, April 24, 2006

"Dinotopia" by James Gurney


I first saw this book on a trip to the La Brea tar-pits with my school- it was in the Natural History Museum.
I am not the biggest fan of dinosaurs, but this book is so amazingly beautiful, and the fairytale-ness of it made me adore it. I was 14 or so, and the book was about 50 dollars, so I read it, too long, as the rest of the class went around looking at stuffed creatures and rocks, and then left it there.
When I got to be a big person, as I am now, I bought the book for myself using way too much of a paycheck, but it is worth it- the story is interesting, but the pictures are amazing. Bowden "reads" this book more than any other- he may think that dinosaurs and people actually coexist happily somewhere, but why not? He believes in Widjiwats.
Bowden likes the baby dinosaurs, of course, and the pictures of the "Skybax" dinosaurs and riders.
(HarperCollins Publishers, 1992)

No comments: