Monday, April 24, 2006

"What Was That!" by Geda Bradley Mathews, pictures by Normand Chartier


Josh and I found out that we were pregnant, and immediately began thinking of the books we wanted to read our new baby- this was one of Josh's favorite books as a child, and conjures up all kinds of glad memories of his childhood. It's about three bear brothers who get frightened by noises in the night, and comfort each other by explaining them as good night-time noises. I love it because of how Bowden gets so into it- he seems worried at the noise, and then satisfied with how they become cozy, pleasant sounds. And it uses the word "skedaddle."
Bowden brings me this book and describes it, laughing in anticipation, with "They skedaddled out of bed and swoosh!"
(Western Publishing, 1975)

1 comment:

ShortCourt said...

This was one of my favorites growing up!! What a suprise to see it! I had a tape that went along with it, too. I think the cover is of papa bear looking into the tree and there is an owl making a noise? I can picture it in my head... I am just not able to recall how accurate I may be. :)