Monday, April 24, 2006

"Horton Hatches The Egg" by Dr. Seuss


I never read this book as a child. It wasn't until someone from the St. Albans P.D. gave us a load of books that I even really knew about it. I think we read this book to Bowden every night for a few months, and it is long.
I got to the point where I was reciting much of it, and not reading it, and I found myself repeating lines to it in my head during the day, like you would with any good poem. One of my favorites,
"H-m-m-m...the first thing to do, "murmured Horton,
"Let's see....
The first thing to do is to prop up this tree
And make it much stronger. That has to be done
Before I get on it. I must weigh a ton."
It's a very handy thing to say when climbing trees with your child. Try it.
Bowden likes the happy ending.
(Random House, 1940)

No comments: